Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Split Rail Fence Quilt: Part 1


As I had mentioned earlier on in the week that I would be updating you on the progress of my split rail fence quilt. I am so in love with this collection of fabrics!

First I took apart the jelly roll and divided the strips in to six groups of four strips. I then took the extra 1/2 yard of fabric that was in my quilt kit and cut six 2 1/2 inch strips the length of the fabric. I then added one to each group of four strips to make six groups of five strips.

Next I sewed each group of strips together, pressing all the seams the same way. I then measured the width of each group. The smallest group measured ten and a quarter inches. I made cross cuts on each of the strips at ten and a quarter inches, so they were square. I squared up any of the strips that may have been larger. I got 4 squares from each group of strips.

Check back later to see the next steps and for the finished quilt.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Linked to: 
trendy treehouse

2 comments:

  1. Dana, I am so impressed with your sewing skills! You're amazing! I love seeing all these beautiful quilts you're putting together, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carly! I am glad that you are enjoying them! I am having lots of fun making them.

      Delete