Monday, May 6, 2013

Split Rail Fence Quilt: Part 3

 Finishing The Quilt Top
The other parts of this series can be found here: Part 1 and Part 2

After I finished sewing all of the blocks, I trimmed them to 13 inches square. When you are making your own make sure to measure your blocks to figure out what you should square them to. This is due to differences in sewing and pressing techniques. 

A jelly roll makes 12 blocks, so I decided to lay my quilt out in a 4 by 3 pattern. As I was laying out my quilt top and decided where each block should go I was keeping color composition and pattern in mind. After I was happy with the layout I took a picture so I could look back and reference it. 

I then sewed the blocks together into strips. I like to mark each row with a post-it note with its number. I had a total of 4 rows, each with 3 blocks in it.

After sewing the rows, I then sewed the rows together to make the quilt top. When I sew quilt rows together I like to put a pin at each intersection and then one pin in the center of the block. This makes sure that the rows are perfect and the intersections line up.
 

 Also I like to make my intersections "lock" so they line up perfectly. The way I do this is I press all of the seems on one row to the left and then on the other row I press all of the seems to the right. You can see this demonstrated in the picture above.  

And now for the finished quilt top!! What do you think??
Linked to:
Craft-o-maniac
Keeping it Simple

3 comments:

  1. I especially love the added fingers at the top. I love how it has come together, you've done an awesome job. The picture doesn't do it justice. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! it looks like so much time and love went into this quilt. it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That is beautiful Dana! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete